Re: Etch netinstl. problem starting kwrite, synaptic, gedit.etc

On Sunday 24 August 2008 23:37, debian@waysoft.com wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:16:46 +0200
>
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> > > You need sux instead of su.

> > > --
> > > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > > http://ox.freeallweb.org/
> >
> > When I try the command sux, I just get a "command not found".
> >
> > Thanks for the reply though. I'm game for trying anything at the
> > moment, and all replies/suggestions, no matter how off the edge, are
> > welcome.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Have you tried apt-get install xorg
>
> jeff

Well sux plus password works ok, but I've never had to use sux before on any
distro.

I did an apt-get install xorg, which pulled in a few more packages, and apart
from some complaints about finding directories for fonts, which didn't appear
to exist, but no change when running su, plus password, and kwrite, for
example, which stiill failed to open.

I also tried another suggestion, as below.

<quote>

the basic problem is that you are launching these programs as root, but
your desktop is running as your user. So after su'ing run "export
DISPLAY=localhost:0" and as a user run "xhost localhost".

The export command sets the DISPLAY variable to your local machine, this
variable is how X apps figure out what X server to connect to. The xhost
command allows programs running on your local machine to connect to your
desktop.
<end quote>

I don't think I made any typos.

Having done an apt-get install xorg, and also the export stuff above, I still
can't just simply su, plus password, and bring up kwrite for example.

This is how things are at present, and hand written. Excuse any typos please.

djmons@debian: ~$ su
Password:
debian: /home/djmons# kwrite
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key