Re: debian sound and audio drivers. - explained - please ???

On 08/21/2008 08:25 PM, Michael Habashy wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a FAQ about Debian Audio and Sound drivers??
[...]

Although these documents are ancient, they may provide some useful information. Install the doc-linux-text package and read these:

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Alsa-sound.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Sound-HOWTO.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Sound-Playing-HOWTO.gz

The Linux kernel documentation also has some files that describe the sound system; I hope they are not too obtuse for you; they are for me :-\

If you install the kernel documentation, you'll find the sound files for ALSA in ./Documentation/sound/alsa. Don't bother with ./Documentation/sound/oss unless someone tells you to look in there. OSS is a very ancient Linux sound system that ALSA has largely replaced.