Re: debian sound and audio drivers. - explained - please ???

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Michael Habashy <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone direct me to a FAQ about Debian Audio and Sound drivers??
>
> I had an issue with sound, so i basically installed everything under the sun.
>
> Do not know what i did, but got it to work. Unfortunately I think some
> drivers are stepping on other drivers.
>
> I think i install pulseaudio, alsa, and the kitchen sink.
>
> How can i know what is really work and how can i check to disable the rest ?????
>
> when i run lspci |grep audio, I get the following:
>
> rider:/# lspci |grep audio
> 00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97
> Audio Controller (rev a2)
> rider:/home/mjh#
>
> when i run lsmod , i get the following :
>
> rider:/# lsmod |grep audio
> snd_usb_audio          88736  0
> snd_usb_lib            21888  1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_hwdep              15240  1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_pcm                89096  6
> snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd                    65256  16
> snd_usb_audio,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
>

> My current issue is that the audio for the is very low, no matter how
> high i raise the volume.

Well, the drivers are unlikely to step on each other like that, however
the user-lever sound stuff might. Right now it sounds like there may
be places to adjust the sound level that you haven't checked yet.

likely volume controls from most low level to highest level:

alsa volume - set with alsamixer, alsamixergui or gnome-alsamixer

pulse-audio volume - set with pavucontrol/pulse-audio volume

App volume control - in media player, etc.

Have you checked all of these, and are you running Gnome,
KDE3, KDE4, or other?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers