Re: Install git package on Debian, could not run git

On 8/20/08, Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On 08/20/2008 08:47 AM, hce wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I installed git, git-core and cogito in Debian according to following
>  > message, but still could not run git (in both user and root). What
>  > could I be missing here?
>

> From the message you post, it appears that there are two different
>  programs that might be called 'git' on your system:
>
>  10:22:11-johannes@e13-v21:~$ aptitude search gnuit
>  p   gnuit
>   - GNU Interactive Tools, a file browser/viewer and process viewer/
>  10:24:24-johannes@e13-v21:~$ aptitude search git-core
>  i   git-core
>   - fast, scalable, distributed revision control system
>
>  Which one would you like to run?

$ aptitude search gnuit

<shown nothing, does seem gnuit is installed>

$ aptitude search git-core
i   git-core                        - content addressable filesystem
>  Either uninstall the other one (if you don't need it)

Seems only git-core is installed, right?

>  > git, the filemanager with GNU Interactive Tools, is now called gitfm.
>  >
>  > If you are looking for git, Linus Torvald's content tracker, install
>  > the cogito and git-core packages and see README.Debian and git(7).
>  >
>  > This transition script will be removed in the debian stable
>  > release after etch.
>  >
>  > If you wish to complete the transition early, install git-core
>  > and use (as root):
>  >  update-alternatives --config git
>

> or run above command to choose which application you'd like to call git
>  on your system.

Yes, I did run:

$ sudo update-alternatives --config git

There are 2 alternatives which provide `git'.

  Selection    Alternative
*+        1    /usr/bin/git.transition
          2    /usr/bin/git-scm

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 1
Using `/usr/bin/git.transition' to provide `git'.

Is that a problem? Which one should I use, git-transition or git-scm?
Shoud I delete one of them?