Re: iptables file locations question

Hi Mike,

On my Etch system at least, I'm not seeing any files that list the
iptables rules (as I think this is what you're looking for).  Such a
thing would be created if you manually configured your firewall rules
(inputting a bunch of iptables -A ....) and then saved them to a file
using uptables-save, maybe that's what you're referring to?

My recommendation would be to do what I did; make a little shell
script that contains all the iptables -A .....  rules.  You can edit
the file with your favorite text editor, include lots of #comments to
remind yourself why on earth you set the rules that way, and when
you're done, just

    sudo firewall_rules.sh

and it'll load up.  If you do this, don't forget to either set the
script to run automatically at startup, or add the following lines to
/etc/network/interfaces:

pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.rules
post-down iptables-save -c > /etc/iptables.rules

(if you add these lines, after your next startup, /etc/iptables.rules
will contain your list of firewall rules -- perhaps this is what you
want anyway).

Hope that helps,
Jeff