iptables file locations question

Greetings to the List!

In Woody, Debian placed the iptables files in /var/lib/iptables where two files could be found: active and inactive. It was nice to be able to pull the files into a favorite text editor and change as needed.

However, etch does not place any of the iptables files in this location (which I admit was a strange location - I would have expected them in /etc/iptables) and I would like to be able to modify them by hand instead of using the command line iptable -A or iptable -list fucntions.

Does anybody know where these files are now stored or what they are called if they have been renamed?

Thanks!