Re: [debian-user] Re: Wikipedia

Ted,

Wikipedia is a great resource -- you just have to take what you read
there with a grain of salt.  Many people writing there have an agenda,
and some are clueless.  If you're reading about something
controversial, check the discussion pages; they can often point out
that there is a conflict in the information.

In my experience, for technical matters, the pages are unlikely to be
just-plain-wrong -- particularly when explaining the basics of how
something works.  (Conversely, if basics aren't enough, Wikipedia
might not be the best source, simply because it's an encyclopedia, not
an exhaustive reference).  With science and math articles, if you stay
clear of obvious cranks, you're not likely to go too far
wrong--although you may find most of the sci/math articles tend to be
written such that they're rather opaque to people who don't already
have exhaustive subject knowledge.

In short, Wikipedia is sometimes questionable, but so are things you
read on mailing lists and forums, and even articles published by
professional journalists.  As long as you're careful, you can learn
many things.