Re: mount remote file system

On 08/19/2008 03:53 PM, Jos Collin wrote:
>> in local machine mount it... export using nfs..
>>
>> and in remote machine mount it
>
> I can mount any other remote device using this method but not dvd. I can
> mount a remote pen drive and see the contents locally. But when I try to
> mount the dvd locally using the following command shows the error.
>
> debian:~# mount -t nfs 192.168.0.101:/root/dvddir/ laptopdvd/
> mount: 192.168.0.101:/root/dvddir/ failed, reason given by server:
> Permission denied
>
> I don't know whether it is a problem because of the read-only file system.

No. you have to permit it from the exporting machine as well.

I'm sorry, I don't have the time at the moment, but a google for
'linux mount remote cdrom'
'linux mount remote dvd'
will bring up a couple of links. Some of these will explain it better
than I can at the moment...

Before you try any of the suggestions, you should read 'man foo' for the
commands or configuration files at hand.

You also need nfs-kernel-server installed on the exporting machine,
which isn't automatically included in a default debian install.

HTH,

Johannes