Re: Ram upgrade causes kernel panic

On 08/19/08 03:26, Alexander Fortin wrote:
Hi guys.

I've just installed Lenny (beta2 network installer) on an Pentium4
machine and it works great. A few days after, just because everyone
here is in vacation, I thought it was not so bad to cannibalize a DDR2
bank from one desktop here in the office and upgrade my shiny new
box :D

Well, as soon as I reboot with 2 banks of 1GB instead of the original
1GB+512MB setup, the kernel panics because of an VFS error (could not
find root fs).

I tryied any combination with 3 different banks of 1GB but I get the
same problem; it works only with every possible combination < 2GB, but
not with 2 banks of 1GB each.... So far I've tested every ram bank
with memtest but no errors found.

Any idea of why is this happening? Do I really have to reinstall the
whole system to upgrade ram size?

Since this is a P4, it must be a relatively old mobo. Maybe it just isn't designed to handle 2GB?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson