Re: chkrootkit hidden processes possible LKM Trojan.

Wackojacko on 16/08/08 13:02, wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 08/16/08 06:17, Wackojacko wrote:
Hi all

I realise there has been some discussion recently over the merits or otherwise of chkrootkit, but the last two days it is warning of hidden processes (ps and readdir).

After googling a little further I see this has been a problem in the past but was unable to find any recent examples.

However, using

#chkrootkit -x lkm

and

#chkproc -v -v

and comparing these to the output of ps and ls /proc I have determined that there are processes which do not show up on /proc or ps but I am still able to

#cd /proc/PID

for these processes and then

#cat cmdline

to find out what service is hidden.

The results suggest that icedove-bin and nepomukerserver are the main culprits, but I want to know why!!

I do not have any services running on external ports as I am behind a netgear router and have confirmed this via various external port scan sites. I do run smb, imap (dovecot), postfix, cups and apt-cacher (perl) locally for my internal network.

Am I really rooted?  Anyone else seeing something similar?

Is this your personal workstation?

How is it connected to the Intarweb? Directly, or behind a NATing firewalling router?

If directly, how many services do you have listening to ports? Get a friend to nmap you.

If this is your PC, and are behind a hardware firewall, I seriously doubt that you are compromised.

Hi Ron

Yeah this is my thinking. It is my personal workstation and I only have the services I listed above listening on the local network. I am behind a Netgear Router and external port scans show zilch!

Forgot to mention I am running Sid AMD64 with homerolled 2.6.25 Kernel. Rkhunter shows nothing but they means nothing if the system is compromised.

I suppose the next question is why are these services hiding from me?

Another big question for me in this sort of situation is, what program can I use to determine whether I really am rooted or not?

Seems to me that any program running on the suspect server can just be overridden by the rootkit or hacker, so programs and scripts launched from crontab would be relatively untrustworthy.

After chkrootkit emailed me a result saying 'PORT INFECTED: 2881' I see significantly more hidden hidden processes, and but nothing ever turns out to be definitively rooted - so I'm trying to establish a definitive security structure before I reformat and reinstall.

(Plus I am monitoring the ports with ntop to see if they're anything suspicious going on).

Regards
Adam