Re: xorg update clobbers Nvidia GL

On 08/17/08 15:59, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 08/16/08 12:57, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
Hello:

It seems every time xorg is updated it clobbers my Nvidia driver and,
all of a sudden, those cool GLX screen savers, not to mention Google
Earth (a mission-critical application!) don't work.  If I use
nvidia-installer to UNinstall the drivers, it tells me
'/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is not a symbolic link',
whereas, right after installing the nvidia drivers, it IS.  So, what
I'm wondering is whether there's any way to protect a symbolic link
from being overwritten.  Ordinarily, if I want to protect a file, I'll
make it read- or read-and-execute-only, but a symbolic link is always
'lrwxrwxrwx' and 'chmod 555 link' just changes the permissions on the
underlying file.  Perhaps that will protect the link from being
replaced with a file, but I'm not confident!  A hack solution would be
simply to rename the underlying file to the link name and make THAT
unwritable, but I think that might confuse the nvidia installer.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

After any xorg update, I go into /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions and manually symlink the nvidia libglx.so.XXX.YY.ZZ to libglx.so.

Good point. But you have stated this at least 6 times in the last couple of years. People must forget.

People use so many different terms and ways of phrasing the same problem that Googling can sometimes be a futile exercise. Especially if you are a n00b or casual user.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson