Re: xorg update clobbers Nvidia GL

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> 2008/8/16 Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com>:
>> If I use nvidia-installer to UNinstall the drivers,
>
> Btw, the installer from nvidia's website doesn't play nicely with
> Debian's packaging system, as you have seen. The Debian way to do it
> is something like this:
>
>      update-pciids
>      apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-source
>      m-a prepare
>      m-a a-i nvidia
>      apt-get install nvidia-glx
>      depmod -a
>      modprobe nvidia
>      dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I don't think the last command will work anymore. It will just ask a
small set of questions about the keyboard and the mouse, I think, and
that is it. It has stopped asking about display altogether. I have had
to actually delete the xorg.conf file to let xorg generate a new file by
itself. It appears that xorg.conf does a better job of display detection
and the xserver-xorg is thus not dealing with it anymore. So, I have had
to manually insert the "nvidia" string to make xorg use nvidia in the
recent past.

I hope I am not waaay wrong about this. Let me know if I am

->HS