Re: Pendrive not mounted when another usb device is plugged in

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 22:27 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> >> [...] in /etc/fstab I'd refer to that drive not as /dev/sda but by it's
> >> UUID.
>

> Rodolfo:
>
> > All right, I did so and now the mount problem seems to be fixed.  But now,
> > when I want to unmount it, with: `umount /mnt/sda', the output is:
> > `Segmentation fault', and the drive is not unmounted.
> >
> > How to unmount it now?
>

> I have to unmount it as root.  In fstab there is now:
>
> UUID=44F1-7D0C /mnt/sda 	vfat    rw,user,noauto       0       0
>
> , but as a normal user I can only mount the device, not unmount it: to unmount
> it I must be root.  Why this?
>
> Another thing that is not clear to me is the difference between the `user' and
> `users' options of `mount' command.

 sent this yesterday, but never saw it come through.  If you saw this
post yesterday, just drop me a line so that I can know to check my
filter settings.

User means any user can mount the device, but only THAT user can umount
it.

Users means any user can mount the device, any ANY user can umount that
device.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com