Re: wifi connection manager recommenadations

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Lubos Vrbka <lists@vrbka.net> wrote:
> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>>
>>> what functionality i'd like to have?
>>>
>>> 1) start this application (undex X)
>>> 2) check for networks around
>>> 3) connect to a known one or select an unknown network
>>>
>>> for my home network, i need WPA. i am using enlightenment as a window
>>> manager. most of kde/gnome is installed as well (you cannot avoid it
>>> anyway), but i am not much familiar with the configuration details of
>>> these
>>> two 'packages'.
>>>
>> Network Manager does well for me -
>> http://packages.debian.org/etch/network-manager
>
> i tried that (one of the first things i tried), together with
> network-manager-{gnome|kde} applets.
>
> however, it didn't seem to find my network card (although wireless was
> enabled) - only wired network stuff was displayed in the applet. is there
> something i need to set up? maybe it was conflicting with the settings in
> interfaces file?
>
> patrick, could you please share configuration details with me?

My /etc/network/interfaces file is very simple:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

#auto eth0

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0

You'll notice that the 'auto eth0' and 'auto wlan0' are commented;
that's because, as I recall, network-manager was bypassed if I didn't
do that.  And I don't have any hard-coded IP addresses in there.

hth
Patrick