Upgrading Hard Drives

	I've got a working Debian system that I am about to
break. I am replacing the master drive with a new one that is 32
times the size of the old one and want to transfer the system
intact from the old one to the new one so dd is not an option
but I want to be sure to preserve all the special files and the
boot sector for the new disk.

	The a command in fdisk says to toggle a boot flag. When
I make a Linux partition and then mkfs -text3, what state is
that flag in? I looked at the known good disk and the new one
and fdisk reported the same information except for size.

	I plan to use dar to put the old system on to the new
drive. Will that preserve all the special files?

	If not for those, ordinary tar would work for everything
else?

	The end result should be the same system as before but
with a _LOT_ more space.

	Thanks for any constructive ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer