Re: Weird font problem

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 02:52:00 +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> > > alas, creating ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.kderc made no difference
> >
> > Hmm, maybe it is time to look at something else: Which graphics card and
> > which driver are you using?
>
> it;s an intel Mobile X3100 card, lspci notes it as:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated
> Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> and /etc/X11/xorg.conf has:
>
> Section "Device"
>         ### Available Driver options are:-
>         ### [arg]: arg optional
>         #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "ColorKey"                  # <i>
>         #Option     "CacheLines"                # <i>
>         #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "DRI"                       # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "NoDDC"                     # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "ShowCache"                 # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"              # <i>
>         #Option     "PageFlip"                  # [<bool>]
>         Identifier  "Card0"
>         Driver      "intel"
>         VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
>         BoardName   "Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller"
>         BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>
> apart from fonts not working everything is fine visually, no problems
> switching to a terminal and back either.

You could test the font rendering with the "vesa" driver, just to make
sure that this is not some weird bug in the intel driver. I would also
check if adding

         Option      "AccelMethod"    "XAA"

makes the intel driver behave differently.

We can also still try to shake some more trees and hope that something
interesting will fall down; please post the output of

xrdb -query | grep Xft

debconf-get-selections | grep fontconfig

(debconf-get-selections is part of the package debconf-utils)

> also fonts in the (graphical) d-i where fine

I think the installer might default to the vesa driver as a "safe bet",
since it does not really need hardware acceleration and other advanced
graphics driver features.

          Florian   |