Re: How to find dependency information for a package ?

NewDeb wrote:
See, this is a mystery to me, because I am running the commands and viewing
the control file of one single  package. Why is the version showing up
separately ?

Ok, so what I am actually after is this - I am going to get an input of
several .deb files (of proprietary software within my company). I have to
read the .deb files to extract the payload and bundle them together to form
a "big package" (in a non debian format). So far so good. However, I must
also read the dependencies (again, of proprietary software within my
company) listed in each .deb so as to include them in this "big package".
This is the part (reading and extracting the exhaustive list of
dependencies) I am not sure how to do and was hoping I can use preexisting
debian tools to do this for me. Which one is best or do I have to write this
from scratch ? If latter, is there any source I can refer ?
I have been at this for a while and need some pointers to preserve my
sanity. Thanks for helping !!

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 09:05:09PM -0700, NewDeb <ace_shikha@hotmail.com>
was heard to say:
Well, should'nt 'apt-cache depends' and the control file show the same
dependency info ? Here is the inconsistency I am seeing. Please let me
know
if I am interpreting this wrongly -
Control File
-----------
Depends: kaffe (>= 2:1.1.6-3) | java-gcj-compat-dev (>= 1.0.41-1) |
java2-runtime, libtomcat5-java (>= 5.0.30-12etch1), adduser (>= 3.34),
apache2-utils | apache-utils | apache2-common
Suggests: java-virtual-machine, libapache-mod-jk | libapache2-mod-jk,
tomcat5-webapps, tomcat5-admin

apt-cahce depends tomcat5 (I dont even see "jakarta-commons-launcher" in
the
above file...)
tomcat5-5.5.26-1jpp.2.fc7

  You said in your first email on the thread that the control file was
for version 5.0.30-12etch1.  I imagine that its dependencies are
probably different from those of version 5.5.26-1jpp.2.fc7.

  Daniel