Re: How to find dependency information for a package ?

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 01:09:56PM -0700, NewDeb wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to find the exhaustive list of dependencies of a particular
> package (For example, package tomcat5_5.0.30-12etch1_all.deb) From what I
> have read so far, there seem to be many ways of doing this and I tried out
> the following, but find that the information is different in all, save a few
> common things.
>
> 1) apt-cache depends tomcat5

this will show all thep packages tomcat5 directly depends on

> 2) dpkg --info tomcat5_5.0.30-12etch1_all.deb (to view the Depends filed of
> the control file)

this should as well.

> 3) apt-get --download-only install tomcat5 (thinking that this will be the
> raw list of files which dpkg tries to install)

this will give you the packages that tomcat5 depends on but *aren't
already installed*. Note the distinction there.

> Why is the output of dependency packages not consistent ? Or am I doing this
> wrongly ?

I'm assuming that is the cause of the inconsistency, but then you
haven't actually explained what the inconsistency is, so that's just a
guess.