Re: difference between NEW and Extra packages in dpkg install

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 09:25:39PM -0700, NewDeb <ace_shikha@hotmail.com> was heard to say:
> Here is the output with apt-get install (albeit with --download-only. You get
> the same output if you were to go ahead with the real install) I am trying
> to understand the difference between the NEW packages and the Extra
> packages. Why are they being called out separately ? Even if some packages
> are "Extra", are they newly installed too ?

  Ah, ok.  This is apt-get that's printing this, not dpkg.

> apt-get --download-only install tomcat5

  You asked to install tomcat5.

  These are all the packages apt wants to install that are not tomcat5.

  These are all the packages that apt will install. (the final, complete
list)  It includes tomcat5 and all the extra packages.

  Please don't ask me *why* apt-get behaves this way; it just always
has.

  Daniel