Re: How to find dependency information for a package ?

On 08/12/08 15:09, NewDeb wrote:
Hi all,
I am trying to find the exhaustive list of dependencies of a particular
package (For example, package tomcat5_5.0.30-12etch1_all.deb) From what I
have read so far, there seem to be many ways of doing this and I tried out
the following, but find that the information is different in all, save a few
common things.
1) apt-cache depends tomcat5
2) dpkg --info tomcat5_5.0.30-12etch1_all.deb (to view the Depends filed of
the control file)
3) apt-get --download-only install tomcat5 (thinking that this will be the
raw list of files which dpkg tries to install)

Why is the output of dependency packages not consistent ? Or am I doing this
wrongly ?

I am really confused. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Is this a 3rd-party deb file?  If not, just try:
# apt-get --simulate install tomcat5

That will give you a comprehensive list of missing/uninstalled dependencies. what Debian needs to install.

Otherwise, "apt-cache depends" and "apt-cache show" tell you everything you need.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA