Re: What is the best way to deal with changing device names in Debian?

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 02:32:04AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue,12.Aug.08, 01:04:00, Aniruddha wrote:
> > Regularly my hard disk device names change ( e.g. from sdc to sdh to sdb
> > etc). When this happens it becomes impossible to boot.
> >
> > To prevent this from happening I 've added 'disk/by id' to fstab
> > (because the disks uuid were also changing) and 'boot from uuid' to my
> > menu.lst I wonder:
> >
> > -What is the best way to prevent the device names change from happening?
> > -If it happens what is the best way to quickly fix this problem?
>
> I prefer to use labels, because they are readable (compared to UUID) ;)
>
> $ grep '^# kopt' /boot/grub/menu.lst
> # kopt=root=LABEL=sid ro vga=0x368
>
> You have to run 'update-grub' after changing this
>
> $ grep sid /etc/fstab
> LABEL=sid	/               ext3    errors=remount-ro,noatime,commit=600 0       1
>
> For ext2/3 you set the labels with e2label.

can I siggusting sticking to label, easier to read and also doing a rm
/etc/blkid.tab

--
"And I am an optimistic person. I guess if you want to try to find something to be pessimistic about, you can find it, no matter how hard you look, you know?"

	- George W. Bush
06/15/2004
Washington, DC