Re: TTY 1 to 6 are garbled

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 15:57 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
I hope someone can help me with this. TTY 1 to 6 have a garbled display.
To clarify what I mean I've uploaded a screenshot, you can find it here: http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tty1xh3.jpg I run Debian testing.
I have never seen this before, any help to fix this would be
appreciated!

I believe that's a bug; installing fglrx seems to fix it.  I've yet to
reproduce it on anything but a Radeon-based display.

I've just returned (Friday) from a week away, during which my system was shut down. On restarting, I took advantage and did an update/upgrade in
single user mode, which included a reboot due to kernel upgrade.

On rebooting to multiuser mode, my screens were also all messed up (even
less "readable", though I could tell where the login prompt was due to
the higher brightness).

I have an nVidia "NV40GL [Quadro FX 4000] (rev a1)", per the output of
'lspci', and I'm using the proprietary nVidia driver.

Your suggestion to update the ATI driver prompted me to update the nVidia driver on my system, and that did indeed fix the problem.

Thanks,

--
Bob McGowan