D-Installer: GRUB fails to install boot loader

Hello,

i am trying to perform a network install with Debian Installer, which is
failing when installing the GRUB loader with

   "Unable to install GRUB in (hd0)"
   Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed.

and in the console i see:

   Cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdq2. Check our device.map.
   error: Running 'grub-install --no-floppy --recheck "(hd0)"' failed.

The problematic system:
IBM woodcrest blade with Intel 5000P chipset, "LSI Logic/Sym bios Logic
SAS1064ET PCI-Express-MPT SAS"  SCSI controller, Qlogic ISP2422-based 4Gb
FC adapter with several SAN Luns attached (that why the local disk appears
as /dev/sdq...)

The partition table:  cat /proc/partitions

major minor #blocks name
   (... ram0 to ram15 here...)
  65     0   71687000  sdq
  65     1     8474256  sdq1      (swap)
  65     2     6000277  sdq2      (/ )
  65     3   57207465  sdq3      (unmounted)

I also tried to run grub-install by hand from the rescue/debug shell,
# grub-installer '(hd0)'
   Wrong number of args: mapdevfs <path>

The same error happens when trying with any other hd number (including
(hd15), (hd16) etc) and with the --recheck options.

I tried to intercept and log into a file the parameters mapdevfs is getting
but i also don't get any.

Lilo DID install without problems on the MBR.

Where could be the problem?  I couldn't find anything relevant after a lot
of searching in google and in the debian lists.

Thanks for any tip!
(PS: Please CC me directly as i am currently not subscribed.)

Ariel