Re: local network problem

Bob McGowan wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 04:24:17PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 09:56:40AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
Hello!

I am running etch at home in two machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both are connected to the web trough a switch witch is connected to a modem.
Both machines work fine regarding the internet. I want to
connect both in a lan configuration. For this purpose I installed samba in both machines, and created a folder in each machine which can be shared trough the network. Now the desktop see itself in the network but doesn't see the laptop. The laptop see the desktop but doesn't see itself. It appears that the laptop is invisible in the network. What could be wrong with the laptop configuration?
Thank you very much for your answer Andrew,

<< NFS discussion deleted >>

This sounds like it could be a firewall problem, perhaps the laptop has blocked the ports used by Samba?

Bob,

in fact, it was an install problem in the laptop. The installation of samba was broken in some way. I found the solution in the web (thanks to google and unbuntu forums) and after reinstalling samba everything is working fine now!

Cheers

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini