Re: local network problem

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 04:24:17PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 09:56:40AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I am running etch at home in two machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both
>>> are connected to the web trough a switch witch is connected to a modem.
>>> Both machines work fine regarding the internet. I want to
>>> connect both in a lan configuration. For this purpose I installed
>>> samba  in both machines, and created a folder in each machine which
>>> can be  shared trough the network. Now the desktop see itself in the
>>> network but  doesn't see the laptop. The laptop see the desktop but
>>> doesn't see  itself. It appears that the laptop is invisible in the
>>> network. What  could be wrong with the laptop configuration?
>
> Thank you very much for your answer Andrew,
>
>> It's been a *long* time since I've done samba, so my first step would
>> be to compare the two samba configs to make sure there are
>> appropriately similar.
>
> they are identical

well, it's hard to say from this vantage what the problem is with the
laptop. If the laptop cannot even see itself, then there is something
wrong with the configuration. Perhaps it is a permissions issue on the
shared directory?

Is there any log output regarding samba or smb on the laptop?

> And is samba actually running on the laptop? If
>> you don't start it, it won't share.
>
> yes, the samba daemon is running.
>
>> Out of curiousity, since they're both debian machines, why not use
>> nfs?
>
> because I wanted to give samba a try. On the other side, in order to use
> nfs do I need to set one the machines as a nfs server and the other one
> as a nfs client? I read that a nfs server is quite involved to set up...

I'm all in support of learning samba for no other reason to learn it.

You can setup both machines as nfs servers and it's ridiculously
easy.

aptitude install nfs-kernel-server

edit /etc/exports with appropriate lines, such as:

/path/to/shared/directory 192.168.1.0/24(rw)

note that you could use all sorts of combinations of addresses,
subnets, hostnames etc, see man exports.

then:

/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

then on the client machine you mount the remote share as follows:

mount remote_host_name:/path/to/shared/directory/ /local/mount/point

and you're done.

read the manuals... it can be *much* more sophisticated than that, but
it can also, for your secured network, be incredibly simple.