Re: 2.6.24-4 kernel not booting

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> First, please don't top post. please intersperse your responses with
> the appropriate parts like I do. Also, please don't reply to me
> directly or include me in the reply. I read the list, so just reply to
> that. I'll see your response.
>
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 07:46:58PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
>> okay...i think i figured out my issue.
>> it is with raid.
>
> why do you think this? What evidence tells you this? have you looked
> at /proc/mdstat?
>
>> i think i will need a way to check if raid devices are okay.
>
> cat /proc/mdstat should tell you.
>
>> the system boots but it complains about md1 which is my root system.
>
> okay. so it does boot? YOu are providing conflicting information.
>
>> i think md0 where my /boot ...everythign is okay there..
>> it looks like i lost 1 of my drives on md1 which is a raid5
>> device..but i still not able to boot.
>
> can you boot or not? please answer my questions about older kernels
> and editing the grub initrd line.

>> mjh
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Andrew Sackville-West
>> <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > sorry, I totally cut myself off in the last mail...
>> >
>> > as I was saying, within grub, you can edit the boot commands. There
>> > *should* be some backup initrd's you could try. From the grub menu
>> > type 'e' for edit, then (doing this from memory) arrow down to the
>> > initrd line and type 'e' to edit the line. Next, move to the end of
>> > the line and delete your way back to the point where it says
>> >
>> > initrd /initrd.img
>> >
>> > and press tab a couple of times to get a tab-completion list of
>> > available initrd's. review the list and find the one foro your
>> > kernel. it should be initd.img-2.6.24-something... there should be one
>> > with a .bak extension... that's the one to try and see if it will
>> > boot.
>> >
>> > please report back on the results

> --

Okay - thanks for your reply..sorry about top posting..i am in
gmail..and it does what it wants.
So let me answer your questions:

>why do you think this? What evidence tells you this? have you looked
> at /proc/mdstat?

i looked into /proc/mdstat -- it has inactive raids.
I have tried to re-correct the problem by removing and adding to the raid.
it has not helped.  I get : Block bitmap for group 1664 not in group
(block2195960)!
EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!

Mounting /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root on /root failed: Invalid arguement.
then..there is a whole mess of failed scripts.

the system boots..it just goes into Busybox.
It never mounts any of the filesystems.  the /boot filesystem seems to
be okay..because i create a directory and mount it there.
and i am able to see all the other kernels and grub directory too.
the issue comes when i try to mount my /dev/md1 which has / and /home
and all the other filesystems.
that has the lvm2 volume groups.

I think i need to get the error "Group descriptor corrupted" error fixed, yes?
how do i get past that?
i am able to boot into rescue mode and execute commands.
Please be more specific iwth the commands you want me to execute.

thanks

mjh