Re: kernels for Lenny; was Re: Alsaconf & halting a frozen laptop.

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 02:27, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Nigel & others,
>
> At Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:39:40 +0200 N.H. wrote,
> "... Lenny install, I have the following kernels available.
> 2.6.8
> 2.6.11"
>
> With /etc/apt/sources.list set to lenny,
> dselect offers only 2.6.16 and 2.6.25.
> Can dselect install 2.6.11?
>
> Thanks,        ... Peter E.

Hi Peter. I've only got the 2.6.8, and 2.6.11 kernels still on my Debian
installs, because I've been continuously upgrading since Woody, and it was
only a thought as those kernels were both pre udev IIRC, and may have been
worth a try if it's udev by some chance, that is causing the problem with the
2 sound modules being loaded.

Anyway, back to the sound problem.

How about putting some option lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. I hope I
havn't already mentioned this. Try adding the 3 lines below to the bottom of
the alsa-base file.

options snd-intel8x0 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1
options snd-hda-intel index=2

I say this because at the moment both snd-intel8x0, and snd-hda-intel are
being loaded, and it seems like they are both trying to grab card0, which is
resulting in neither getting card0, and snd-usb-audio is getting card0,
because the other 2 are having a non resolvable argument as to who gets
card0.

Having added the above lines, reboot, and check:
cat /proc/asound/cards

See if they are in the order you set with the options lines above, and more
importantly, whether you have sound.

There is something else to try, but have a go at that first.

All the best.

Nigel.