Re: Debian Sid first time user

On 08/05/08 12:12, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Tue,05.Aug.08, 11:45:54, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 08/05/08 11:13, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Tue,05.Aug.08, 11:05:42, Ron Johnson wrote:

Yes but you can install a Debian with a business card and then you have the choice in the release you want to grab (stable, testing or unstable).
Except that OP is bandwidth-constrained.
Why would that be worse than a full-upgrade (dist-upgrade)?
I don't understand your question.

AFAICT the OP has two options to install sid: full-upgrade or install from scratch (with the business-card image).

ISTM that in both cases the amount of data downloaded is similar, but your remark seems to imply something else. I asked what would be the difference, just in case I missed something.

OP indicates that he is bandwidth-constrained. Thus, any technique that requires lots of network traffic is, by definition, not practical.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Scientists are people, too.  IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."