oldconfig (was Re: [!] 2.6.26 + vga=791)

On 08/01/08 21:35, David Witbrodt wrote:

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: David Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net>
To: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
Sent: Friday, August 1, 2008 10:34:51 PM
Subject: Re: [!] 2.6.26 + vga=791

I use that after I compile my new kernels from source and respond to the
questions presented by 'make oldconfig'.  I keep personal documentation

This is a really important tip. It makes building a new kernel sooo much easier.

on the kernel config settings that are relevant for my machines, and I
have found this diff trick to be the fastest way to incorporate changes
with new kernel versions.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Scientists are people, too.  IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."