Re: Installation from a usb drive

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:17:03 +0200, Giuseppe Marinelli wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Yesterday I tried to install Debian from a usb stick carefully following the
> instructions reported in the official guide:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en
> and using an Etch and LennyBeta2 iso's.
>
> The usb drive boots correctly and starts the installation but when the
> installer has to locate the iso image it says that the kernel is of a
> different version from the installer itself and hangs up. The exact message
> is:
>
> No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch between the
> kernel used by this version of the installer and the kernel available in the
> archive

To prepare the USB stick for booting, you have to make sure that you
download the version of boot.img.gz that matches the iso that you want
to use for installing the system.

For Debian 4.0r4 Etch:
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

For Lenny beta 2: