Installation from a usb drive

Hello everybody!

Yesterday I tried to install Debian from a usb stick carefully following the
instructions reported in the official guide:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en
and using an Etch and LennyBeta2 iso's.

The usb drive boots correctly and starts the installation but when the
installer has to locate the iso image it says that the kernel is of a
different version from the installer itself and hangs up. The exact message
is:

No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch between the
kernel used by this version of the installer and the kernel available in the
archive

I searched the list archive and I found someone else
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/12/msg00728.html) who had
encountered the same problem but got no response from the list.
Thanks for the help!

Giuseppe