Re: Lenny Net Installer issue

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 19:27:00 +1000, Martin Richardson (Velcro1@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>                    I am trying to install Lenny on my workstation. I
> have burnt a net install image to disc (LennyBeta2). My pc will not boot
> on this disc. I get the message that I have a non system disc. If I use
> a second cdrom drive that is in my workstation I get the same error
> message. If I boot it on my wifes pc it is OK. So I put an old FreeBSD
> installation disc in my drive and reboot, it will boot . Why won't the
> lenny disc boot on my workstation???
>
> Martin.

Hi Martin

You say your new Lenny CD boots on your wife's PC, so it would appear
you have correctly burnt the ISO image.

You also say that an old FreeBSD CD boots on your workstation, which in
turn suggests that your workstation hardware and BIOS settings are ok.

So this could be an intermittent fault (unlikely) or more probably some
sort of incompatibility issue between your workstation's hardware and
the CD.

Did you use a re-writable (RW) CD rather than a normal 'one use' CD?
Maybe your hardware is fussy in this respect.  Or is it a +R versus -R
problem?  All highly unlikely, but you do seem to have already
eliminated the more obvious things.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.