Re: ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

On 07/29/08 18:07, Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 07/29/08 16:00, Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
wrote:
On 07/29/08 11:38, Jim McCloskey wrote:

|>  Does this infer that you need a graphical console, DRM or a kernel
|>  frame buffer?

Not as far as I can tell. The script checks for various dependencies
(git, headers for
the running kernel, the kernel building packages and so on) but I can't
see that it checks
kernel configuration options (assuming that that was what you had in
mind),
Is CONFIG_DRM set in /boot/config-2.6* ?

The Direct Render Manager has to be active for 3D to work. I think 2D
xrender and
XAA should work fine, but I believe that "desktop effects" and compiz
require 3D.
EXA should work, but will likely be *very* slow without DRM/DRI. XV should
work
fine without DRM/DRI, but I am not sure about XVmc.

Do you not use DRM/DRI?
Not needed with  vesa, nv or nvidia drivers.  3D, aiglx and xvmc all work
like a charm with the nvidia binary driver.

Interesting, it looks like the nvidia binary drivers do their own thing. And of
course vesa and nv have no 3D.

Do you boot directly into [xkg]dm?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas.  In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."