Re: pc doesn't start

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 05:03:45PM +0100, Wackojacko wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>>> I have a similiar problem with my desktop PC: After running for a
>>> while and then being shut down, it wont turn on again. Waiting a few
>>> minutes (quite a few in fact, maybe an hour) and the problem is
>>> solved again.
>>
>> Both of you could try unplugging it for ten seconds.  I have seen a
>> couple of units that behave that way.  It seems to be the
>> motherboard/BIOS as replacing the PSU on one of units I have that
>> behaves that way didn't change anything.

> Also try replacing the BIOS battery back up.  I seem to remember reading
> on this list about similar problems being solved that way.  I think
> Andrew S-W may have been involved in the thread, maybe even the OP, but
> I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong :)

Not sure what you're referring too by BIOS battery back up...

PSU's have a pretty high failure rate, at least on a par with if not
worse than HD's. If you had a warning about voltage, and now the thing
doesn't work correctly, the first thing I'd suggest is testing or
replacing the PSU. Note though that a failing PSU could take other
stuff with it, so don't be surprised if it ends up being multiple
parts.

OP's PSU (or some other part) could merely be overheating in some odd
way that keeps it from powering back up until it's had time to cool
back down.

I've found that investing in a battery backup helps with the life span
of PSU's. In fact the only ones I've had fail in a couple of years now
are the ones that aren't on battery backup. The battery backup
generally provide some power conditioning which helps minimize the
stress on the PSU.

hth