xorg input device hotplug - wacom issue?

hi guys,

does anyone know what's the current status of xorg input device hotplug in etch, or in debian in general?

quite frequently, i forget connecting my wacom tablet to my notebook. xorg starts fine. when i connect the tablet then, it gets recognized, i can control the mouse using the stylus, but the procedure for setting the tablet properties (absolute/relative mode, changing the button mapping, ...) through the xsetwacom program doesn't work.

i am getting
X Error: 157 BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device
Error (5): WacomConfigOpenDevice: Failed to open device
Set: Failed to open device 'stylus'

relevant part of the xorg.log
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom
	No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/input/wacom : Invalid argument
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom
	No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/input/wacom : Invalid argument
shows the expected result - the wacom indeed wasn't present at that time...

it seems that the wacom is (when connected later) recognized as a mouse, but the special functionalities are missing...

any hints? thanks!

best,

--
Lubos _@_"