Re: packet forwarding.

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:03:50AM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Alex,
>
> > net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
> as> This is allow the kernel to do packet forwarding
>
> No problem there.  My LAN machines have
> no problems accessing the 'net for http,
> pop3, ftp.
>
> as> turn which on ?
>
> TUN packet forwarding through the firewall
> (ref. original message, last weekend.).  I
> want the pop3 connection from Cantor to Joule
> to run through the tunnel; not directly
> through the Internet.
>
> SUMMARY
> Internet access is no problem.  I do not
> understand routing through the tunnel,
> dicussed under Routing in openvpn.man.
>
> Tuesday afternoon, July 29, I'll scan a
> diagram and put it at
> http://carnot.yi.org/Network.jpg

just consider TUN devices as normal nic interfaces.

if i had

local lan A = 192.168.0.1/24 (ip address of the nic on the local lan)
local lan A openvpn TUN = 192.168.1.1/24 (ip address given to the
openvpn tun

local lan b openvpn TUN = 192.168.1.2/24 (ip address given to the
openvpn tun) this talks to lan a

local lab b = 192.168.2.1/24 ( ip address of the nic on the local lan at
B)

for a machine at local lan a (say 192.168.0.100) to talk to a machine at
local lab b ( say 192.168.2.200). I would need a route on the gateway
box in local lan A something like
ip r a 192.168.2.0/24 via 192.168.1.2

and on the gateway box at local lan b I would need a route something
like

ip r a 192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.1.1

you will still need to look at your firewall

Alex