Re: Alsaconf & halting a frozen laptop.

On Friday 25 July 2008 19:52, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Folk,
>
> To get the on-board sound device of an IBM NetVista
> working I must run alsaconf almost every time Lenny
> starts.
>
> The first viewer of alsaconf mentions
> "... testing/sid ... *udev* is predestined to load
> your driver."
>
> Well, seeing that udev fails to load the driver in
> Lenny, I installed sid on an old Toshiba 4000CDS.
> "hwinfo  --sound" reports nothing and there is no
> sound.  I started alsaconf.  When almost finished,
> it reports "Loading driver...".  There the system
> freezes solid.  The power button has no effect.
>
> Is there any way to stop the beast other than by
> unplugging external power and removing the battery?
>
> Thanks,           ... Peter E.

Hi Peter. Firstly this is probably going to be of no help, as I don't have any
laptops, and my Sarge, Etch, and Lenny installs are on a machine which has a
well supported Creative Audigy2 soundblaster card. That said, perhaps you
could provide a bit of info.

leaving aside your Sid install on the Toshiba 4000CDS, Which kernels do you
have available on your IBM NetVista machine. All my Debian installs were
initially installed from Woody 3.0r2, and I have a bunch of kernels
available, some of which are pre udev, For example on my Lenny install, I
have the following kernels available.
2.6.8
2.6.11
Both these IIRC are pre udev, and you should have no problems running alsaconf
when booting with these, and whatever alsaconf configures, should be saved
over a reboot.

I also have 2 kernels which I believe use udev, and sound still works ok in my
case, as below.
2.6.17
2.6.21

Which kernel is your Lenny using? uname -r will give you this.

Now I may be wrong here, but seem to have read that you shouldn't run alsaconf
on kernels that are supposed to be setting up Alsa via udev, as it may mess
some stuff up. As you say though that running alsaconf gets the sounds going,
this may confirm that I'm wrong on this.

Do you have an earlier kernel available to try, perhaps a 2.6.8, or 2.6.11, as
I have?

When you bootup the IBM NetVista machine with Lenny on it, what do you get
from the following commands.
lsmod | grep snd
cat /proc/asound/version
cat /proc/asound/cards
and
lspci -v  (just the bit for the soundcard will do here)

and perhaps, after running alsaconf, the output of.
lsmod | grep snd
cat /proc/asound/cards

That's all I can think of at the moment, and may not be much help in resolving
your problem.

Nigel.