Re: exim: frozen messages

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:12:38AM +0100, michael wrote:
> I've no user 'mbane' on the machine (ratty) so how can I unfreeze these
> messages and work out where they're coming from?

"Freezing" a message only prevents additional delivery attempts from
being made until a relatively long time (I think a day, but I'm not
sure) has passed.  If you're not going to do anything to make mail to
user mbane deliverable, there's no need (or reason) to unfreeze them.

To examine their content, use `locate` to find the files with one of the
message IDs.  There should be two files whose names are the message ID,
one with a -H (headers) suffix and one with a -D (data; the message
body) suffix.  They're plain text, even for frozen messages, so you
should be able to examine those for whatever information you need to
determine the source.

Personally, though, I tend to assume that messages to nonexistent users
are spam and ignore them.

--
News aggregation meets world domination.  Can you see the fnews?
http://seethefnews.com/