Re: before I could ping, now I can't

On Jul 23, 7:30 pm, Chris Davies <chris-use...@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> Vwaju <l...@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> > I am building an internet server (primarily to get some experience
> > with and knowledge of networking).
>
> If you're not familiar with networking then I would STRONGLY suggest that
> you stay well clear of putting your server directly on the Internet. Put
> it behind a good firewall and play there instead.
>
> > I installed [...] debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso
> > I was able to ping both IP addresses and domain names.  Then I
> > installed ssh and rebooted, and I couldn't ping *anything*.
> > jupiter:/home/admin# ping 216.227.214.3
> > connect:  network is unreachable
>
> Your network hasn't come up.
>
> 1. What is in your /etc/network/interfaces file?
>
> 2. Assuming you're using ethernet to connect your server to the world,
> try "ifup eth0" and tell us what it says.
>
> Chris
>
> --

Thank you Andrei and Chris, for your help!

Here are the contents of etc/network/interfaces:

 1  #This file describes the network interfaces available on your
system
 2  #and how to activate them.  For more information, see interfaces
(5)
 3
 4  #The loopback network interface
 5  auto lo
 6  iface lo inet loopback
 7
 8  #The primary network interface
 9  #I commented out these lines, because I have static IP address
10  #allow-hotplug eth0
11  #iface eth0 inet dhcp
12
13  #I added the following lines (following Linux System Admin p. 13)
14  #netmask and network are guesses, because ISP RCN won't give info
15  auto-eth0
16  iface eth0 inet static
17    address 207.237.37.110
18    netmask 255.255.255.0
19    network 207.237.37.0

ifup eth0 reports:

/etc/network/interfaces:15: option with empty value
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

Because RCN has refused to give me the network IP address, netmask,
and gateway, I expect trouble configuring the interface.  Any advice
you have about this is welcome.

However, I thought I should first try to figure out how come I was
able to ping by hostname and by IP address, and now I can't

Thanks again for giving this your attention.

Best Regards,
Lou
New York City