Re: before I could ping, now I can't

Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> I am building an internet server (primarily to get some experience
> with and knowledge of networking).

If you're not familiar with networking then I would STRONGLY suggest that
you stay well clear of putting your server directly on the Internet. Put
it behind a good firewall and play there instead.

> I installed [...] debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso

> I was able to ping both IP addresses and domain names.  Then I
> installed ssh and rebooted, and I couldn't ping *anything*.

> jupiter:/home/admin# ping 216.227.214.3
> connect:  network is unreachable

Your network hasn't come up.

1. What is in your /etc/network/interfaces file?

2. Assuming you're using ethernet to connect your server to the world,
try "ifup eth0" and tell us what it says.

Chris