Re: apt upgrade sarge -> etch udev error can't get past it. Ideas?

On 19:43 Tue 22 Jul     , Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 07/22/2008 04:26 PM, Mitchell Laks wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am upgrading an old server to etch to be able to use new sata drives. I followed
>> the release notes.
>>

> You only need a kernel upgrade for that.

I think sometimes kernel brings in other stuff unless I rely strongly
on backports, which I would rather not do for a production server ...
vanilla release is best for me I find...

> Place "set -x" at the top.

cool

>> and 2. find the script - where is it kept?
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/udev.preinst

It turned out I had a very old udev on my sarge
system that was messing up the upgrade because
the new udev did not like it.

so i did:

dpkg --purge udev
then
apt-get install udev

apt-get install -f

and I was ok.

thank you !
> Udev is not absolutely necessary for many systems. When I upgraded to
> Etch from Sarge, I left udev disabled for several months. The static
> device nodes work fine under Etch, so I disabled udev by removing
> execute permissions from udev and udev-mtab in /etc/init.d/ .
>
> I'm not a big fan of udev because of the consternation it has caused me
> and others.

I agree, I actually disabled udev myself for all of my sarge servers. I have
gone back to it for etch. It seems more stable now.

Thanks,

Mitchell