Re: How to force ifup to wait for dhcp?

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:24:23PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> How does one force ifup to wait for dhcp?
>
> The Lenny laptops here start wlan0.  AP authentication
> and DHCP both occur independently in the background.
> Up to half a minute elapses before AP authentication
> has occured, DHCP has retried, and DHCP has succeeded.
>
> By then, openvpn has gotten very confused by the absence
> of a default route and networking/openvpn/quagga have to
> be restarted manually in order to put the pieces back
> together in the right order.
>
> Do I really need a "post-up sleep 30" or is there a better
> solution?

I am not using wifi but for wire conection, instead of using auto
stanza, using ifplugd is the way to ensure proper start of DHCP process
after ethernet conection.

For wireless, waproamd is the one for you as I understand.

See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch06.en.html
    http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch06.en.html#theifplugd

Osamu