Re: Cannot switch to VT (console)

Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
Hi,

Recently I tried to switch to VT (console) and I couldn't - Ctrl+Alt+F1 didn't work (and they used to couple of weeks ago). I don't even know where to look for the problem; xev detects KeyRelease XF86_Switch_VT_1 event, /etc/inittab contain getty respawns.

Check your xorg.conf and see if the DontVTSwitch option is present. Also, it could be some problem with your XkbModel setting, like pc105 instead of pc104.

Oh, when I tried chvt 1 it responded:
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

Did you try that as root?

Debian sid, home-compiled kernel, GDM/Gnome, nvidia-glx

Any suggestions, please?

                                       -- Albert Einstein