Re: Skype64 or SIP alternative?

 > On 07/22/08 21:37, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
Greetings,

The only deb skype.com has is for i386 and i'm running AMD64.

So, i tried using the static version
(http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static) both with "linux32
./skype" and just running the ./skype but i get the same result: it'll
start, try to log in and fail with "Another skype instance may exist".
There are no other instances.

I'm trying to use 2.0.0.72 but i'll gladly use any skype-compatible
foss SIP-alternative. My sound system is ALSA and i'm using unstable.
I also tried adding
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ unstable non-free
but apt-cache will not find any package.

Any suggestions?

Hi, first I have to write a short disclaimer because a few people might jump from their seats and pop a few forehead veins ;-) , so whatever comes next is bad, bad, and bad because it's bad :

that said, Ubuntu Medibuntu Skype static package works like a charm without any chroot or further complication, it also has a good alsa support so that sound can be mixed and you can hear Skype ring when playing music...

You can grab the necessary packages "skype-static" and "skype-common" (currently skype-static_2.0.0.72-0medibuntu1_amd64.deb and skype-common_2.0.0.72-0medibuntu1_all.deb)

http://fr.packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/s/skype/

or add medibuntu.org to your sources.list ONLY for that purpose and comment it out after installing Skype. Install also necessary dependencies which are all available from Lenny and Sid.

Did I mention that this is bad practice ? If your fridge stop working after you install the packages and you can't have cold beer anymore don't complain : you're on your own. That said I'm happily using it and enjoy nice video conversations with my family from my Debian 64.

Good luck,

Tom

(In need of bad advices, rotten tricks, a nice system wreckage? Call me! ;-)