Re: iceweasel 3 font size

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:34:52 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 18:38:08 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> That page looks fine here on IW3 but it still renders fonts too large on
> >> some other sites.
> >
> > What do you mean by "too large" - "larger than in iceweasel 2",
> Larger than FF2 and Konqueror 3.5.9 for sure.  I don't think I've tried
> going back to IW2.

So it could be that Konqueror and FF2 are wrong.

> > or did
> > you really check the absolute font size? Which sites are we talking
> > about?
> >
> http://compmed.com/index.php  (site I am building still seen as under
> construction by public).  I did notice that I am using <h1> tag for this
> and I don't specify the font.  I also notice that Konqueror gives me a
> sans-serif font while other browsers give me serif, including IE6 on
> another machine which doesn't show the size problem.

Each browser should let you configure whether the default is serif or
sans-serif. If you don't specify the size then it should be set to the
configured user preference.

> I'm guessing that
> specifying the <h1> will probably make the problem go away but I think
> this thread is still worth following.

The usual recommendation is to specify all font size in relative units,
e.g. 100% for the normal font, 120% for h1, etc. Then every one of your
visitors will see bigger or smaller fonts according to their own
preferences, assuming they have all configured their browsers correctly.

As far as your own test browsers of choice are concerned, I would make
sure that they all have the right idea about the dimensions of your
screen (indirectly, from the correct DPI setting). That's why I asked
you about the output of those commands, so here we go:

> paul@bliss:~$ xdpyinfo | grep 'dimens\|resol'
>   dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (339x271 millimeters)
>   resolution:    96x96 dots per inch

That looks good, assuming your screen is really 339 mm wide and 271 mm
high.

> > xrdb -query | grep Xft
> >
> paul@bliss:~$ xrdb -query | grep Xft
> Xft.hinting:    1
> Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull

If your iceweasel fails the absolute size test that I propose below then
you can try if

echo "Xft.dpi: 96" | xrdb -merge

improves the situation. You have to restart iceweasel after that command
to see its effect. (The setting can be added to ~/.Xresources to make it
persistent for all future X sessions.)

[...]

> paul@bliss:~$ grep 'font\.\|css\.dpi' ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/prefs.js
> user_pref("font.minimum-size.x-western", 10);
> user_pref("font.size.variable.x-western", 18);
> user_pref("webdeveloper.edit.font.size", 12);
> user_pref("webdeveloper.generated.content.font.size", 12);

OK, you do not set layout.css.dpi, so iceweasel should use the system
DPI setting. Your default font is 18 pt, therefore your normal text
should be 18/72 inches (6.4 mm) tall on the screen. Unfortunately I
don't know to which of the various font height measures[1] this refers,
so I use this simple test page to check my browser's rendering:

<head>
<title>DPI test</title>
</head>
<hr style="border: none; background-color: black; width: 150mm; height: 150mm" />

This test page should display a square with 150 mm sides.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typeface#Font_metrics

          Florian   |