Suppressing console messages [was Re: x.org]

PLEASE REPLY TO THE LIST AND NOT TO ME PERSONALLY! I am no expert, and
you will get much more authoritative help from the list at large! This
means that you should use "Reply-All" or whatever gmail uses. Then you
should tweak the addresses appropriately.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 07:54:51AM -0700, Cliffm8@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 19, 11:30 pm, Andrew Sackville-West
> <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > Please be sure to reply to the list and not to me personally. You will
> > miss out on the wisdom of many more knowledgeable people than me...

> > > booting Debian several pages roll by ending at login:
> >
> > okay, this is normal and good.
> >
> > >    Then automatically switches to dialog box
> > > "Failed to start the X server( your graphical interface). It is likely
> > > that it is not set up correctly. Would you
> > > like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?" select
> > > yes
> >
> > this is common and not necessarily a big deal. This particular issue
> > can be solved a number of ways, but we need to deal with the
> > persistent kernel messages on the screen first so that you can see
> > what you're doing.
> >
> > >    Then automatically starts " eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> >
> > this message is normal and no big deal. you can safely ignore it.
> >
> > >                                          " eth1: PHY reset until link up
> > >                                          " eth1:PHY reset until link up
> > >                                           continues repeating about
> > > every three to four seconds
> >
> > okay. it appears you have two network interfaces. I suggest you remove
> > one of them for the time being. There is something more going on here,
> > but if you are a true newbie, it could be a difficult problem to
> > tackle. Try taking out one, and then the other, network card until
> > this message goes away.

can you please confirm that you *do* have two network interfaces or not?

> > Start with the messages. You need to edit the file
> > /etc/sysctl.conf. THere are probably a couple of editors available,
> > but nano is the easiest one to use out of the box. try this command
> > from the shell prompt
> >
> > nano /etc/sysctl.conf
> >
> > look for the line
> >
> > #kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7
> >
> > remove the # from the front of the line, save the file and
> > exit. Hopefully that will stop the messages.
> >
> > issue this command
> >
> > sysctl -p

> got this far
> nano /etc/sysctl.conf
> nano opened but there was no file, tried to load file from within
> nano, responce 'no file'
> issued 'sysct1 -p
> nothing appeared to happen
> ctrl-d to return to normal boot
> repeated above condition

please confirm that you typed /etc/sysctl with an ell, not a number 1. Your
command above is a 1 and not an ell.

you should have received some response, like "command not found" if
you had actually used a one. if you have indeed issued "sysctl -p" and
not "sysct1 -p" and it appeared that nothing happened, then that means
that the command executed but had no variables to set. If there were
variables to set, it would echo those back to the console.

so let's rehash this. You need to instruct the kernel to not send so
many error messages so that you can begin to actually get some work
done. instead of mucking around with the existence or not of
/etc/sysctl.conf for the moment, lets just stop those messages with
this command, in a root console (the one you get when you use a
single-user boot).

echo "4 1 1 7" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

then confirm that it successfully set the printk levels with

cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk

you should get those four numbers back as output.

That *should* turn off those messages for the current session. Until
we can figure out what happened to your sysctl.conf, you'll have to do
the echo above as root with every boot.

try it out and report back. also, please provide the output of

dpkg -l procps