Re: Motherboard for desktops with preinstalled Debian

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:

> I am liking the AMD 780G chipset but I can't find anywhere about it's level of
> compatibility with etch. Does anyone know anything? Phoronix use the latest

If a motherboard is completely compatible with ubuntu, one would think
there would be n problems running debian etch on it. I like ASUS too.
My main (7 year old) asus box was based around an A7V-133 Athlon
thunderbird cpu (way too slow now) but it was rock solid for years,
running etch (actually etch was testing at that time), later lenny,
until about 2 months ago when I upgraded.

I wanted to upgrade on a budget, so I ended up getting a combo
cpu/motherboard (AMD 64-bit dual core cpu) about 2 months ago, and I
chose an ECS 6100-pn-m motherboard, which is fairly cheap. It's a
microatx form factor, support for PCI add on cards is minimal, but has
ethernet (only 100/10, though) nvidia 6100 graphics on chip, nvidia
almost everything else, actually. There's only one IDE slot (2
devices) but 4 or so SATA ports, which are all 3.0gbps. Lots of USB
headers too.

I've been running it 2 months or so now with 64 bit ubuntu hardy.

URL is close to what i have, may be the exact model here:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=685&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=46&LanID=9

(If the URL got cut off, I'm sure you can find it at ecs.com.tw.)

> I'm still looking at AM2 because I don't like intel but I'm open to compelling
> arguments.

This one is AM2/AM2+. Supports Phenom cpu's but I didn't have that
much money to spend. :)