Re: apt-get/aptitude bustage with gnucash

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> writes:

>Cameron Hutchison wrote:
>>
>> At the moment there is a new gnucash-common (2.2.4-2) but no new gnucash
>> package to match. Normally that's ok and apt will not upgrade
>> gnucash-common, but for some reason, this time it wants to upgrade
>> gnucash-common and remove gnucash to resolve the conflict.
>>
>I can say wrong, but dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade) can remove the packages.
>Try 'aptitude safe-upgrade'.

I am aware that dist-upgrade can remove packages, but I thought this is
only when other packages replace them.

In this case, there is no replacement, only a conflict. Usually I see
this state as broken with aptitude giving options to work around the
breakage - often holding back or removing packages.

There was no conflict given for gnucash[-common] today and
aptitude/apt-get was just going to remove gnucash without prompting me
for a resolution. This seems wrong, and was the point of my original
posting.