Re: Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

On Sun,20.Jul.08, 11:23:08, Chris Bannister wrote:

> > I wonder where you got the info that you need to download the whole
> > website, it should be corrected.
>
> It was in a post on the debian-www mailing list in a thread talking
> about whether two  spaces after a full stop was acceptable English by
> M.J Ray, I think.

Ah, I understand, let me explain:

The Debian website has a system for tracking old translations. Each
translated page has a special header which tells what English CVS
version it refers to.

Now, consider somebody is making cosmetic changes to the English version
(ex. changing " to <q>), this would mark all translations outdated! In
order to prevent this a perl script was written (smartchange.pl) which
also takes care about the translations. Of course, in order for it to
work it must have access to all translations of the page to be changed,
hence the requirement to have a full checkout.

I hope I was able to explain it simply enough, as I'm not sure I
understand it very well ;) (see my .sig).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)