Re: debian no client name??

Lóránd Erik:

> I don't know what's the problem, i just can't figure it out:
>
> I install standard debian etch without gui, i give hostname at install, etc,
> and when i log in the console, and i install ssh [apt-get install ssh
> openssh-server] i just can't ssh from an ubuntu,

For some reason, Debian's DHCP client doesn't send its hostname when
asking for an IP address. That's why the DHCP server (which probably
also answers DNS queries for you) is not able to resolve the DHCP
client's hostname.

You have to edit /etc/dhclient.conf or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
(whichever you have), the setting should be right on the top.

J.
--
When you put a gun to my head you aren't fooling anyone.
[Agree]   [Disagree]